Director, Center for Public Service and Community Research
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2245
Title: Director, Center for Public Service and Community Research
Department: College of Public Service
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Success
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 17
Grade Min: $72,265
Grade Mid: $88,524
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Director, Center for Public Services and Community Research creates, manages, directs, administrates, and organizes the activities of the Center for Public Service and Community Research, supporting students and faculty by facilitating their engagement in service learning, community service, and research.
- Creates, sustains, and expands long term community partnerships related to Criminal Justice, Social Work, and Urban Education, increasing the opportunities for service and engagement scholarship for faculty, students, and staff.
- Works with faculty to develop goals, tactics, and performance targets for every community partnership, integrating partnerships across departments and as appropriate, and across centers and/or colleges to enhance impact and efficacy.
- Develops, promotes, manages, researches, and delivers the vitalvoices/vitalalumni Discussion Series, a series of 90 minute live lecture presentations with guest speakers from around the country who speak on relevant and timely issues related to Criminal Justice, Social Work and Urban Education.
- Manages all aspects of major grant funded programs awarded to the Center, including hiring and managing personnel, fiscal management, assessments, compliance, and, where necessary, providing student oversight.
- Works with the Dean, associate dean, assistant dean, department chairs, faculty members, and staff to promote community service and student intellectual growth through experiences outside the classroom, including managing the Center/Labs websites and College Newsletter, and seeding data to university publications.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Supervises student workers and/or temporary employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Supervises the work of student and/or temporary employees.
- Professional degree in Education or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, developments, and best practices in the area of public services and community research.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to think creatively, ability to be flexible and adaptable to change;
- Ability to use sound judgment;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.