Director, Building Maintenance
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3060
Title: Director, Building Maintenance
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,459
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: Y
Criticality of Position: Significant
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Director, Building Maintenance plans, develops, directs, and administers the daily operations of architectural systems to ensure that all aspects are aesthetically pleasing, functional, and cost effective for use by the university community and visitors, and that they are consistent with state procedures, building codes, and university standards.
- Manages the processes and documents required to build and maintain the physical integrity of all buildings, garages, parking lots, streets, roofs, and renovation projects.
- Manages the labor, paint, and carpenter shops, ensuring that their services are functional and efficient by monitoring employees' work order completions.
- Ensures that requirements for events are fulfilled, and that campus support requests and emails are actioned and responded to.
- Develops and manages all necessary documents, including, but not limited to, proposals, estimates, budgets, bids, and contract information for campus projects related to architectural systems, renovations, parking lots, garages, roofs, and building waterproofing.
- Manages the installations, repairs, and upgrades of man-lifting equipment, power assist doors, automatic overhead doors, parking lots, garages, buildings' exterior envelopes, and campus wide building roofs.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Business, Finance, Engineering, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- APPA, NFPA 101 Life Safety, and TAS certification is required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of building codes, including BOMA, IFMA, and IBC.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in AutoCAD and MS Excel;
- Strong analytical and problem
- solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to manage day to day project status updates;
- Ability to speak, read, and write Spanish;
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to change;
- Ability to work independently and in a team based environment;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Employee will be routinely exposed to normal hazards of construction, demolition, and mechanical equipment. Work involves some exposure to elements, such as adverse weather conditions, extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, and airborne particles. Position requires maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods of time, as well as for bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, jumping, climbing, and frequent reaching. Position has occasional exposure to the physical risks associated with demolition and construction. May be exposed to moving mechanical parts, hazardous traffic conditions, and the risk of electric shock. May be exposed to vibration and construction and traffic noise. Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. Must have the ability to move items of up to 75lbs. Employee will be on-call 24 hours a day to ensure routine operations of all campus events and to respond to emergency situations.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.