Coordinator, Recreational Operations
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 5072
Title: Coordinator, Recreational Operations
Department: Sports and Fitness
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Life
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 11
Grade Min: $39,923
Grade Mid: $46,910
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: N
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Coordinator, Recreational Operations for the Wellness & Success Center manages the facility requirements for programming. Including but not limited to risk management, equipment maintenance protocol, facility reservations, facility upkeep and maintenance and submitting, and coordinating and following up on work requests to Facilities Management.
- Manages facility reservations including communication with rental groups, development of contract packet, formal user agreements and facility scheduling for departmental programs, student organizations, university departments and external groups.
- Ensures compliance with UHD and departmental guidelines and procedures for all internal/external groups; Provides oversight for event coordination, logistics, and event management as needed.
- Initiates and oversees facility inspections, cleanliness, maintenance, and documentation to provide leadership and management for all facilities and operations; Contributes to the development of routine and preventative maintenance plans, procedures and assists with management of their execution.
- Assists with coordination of the repair and replacement of fitness and other equipment.
- Develops and maintains partnerships with both internal and external partners within the division, academic units, and external groups; Contributes to the development and execution of partner agreements and the scheduling and execution of events.
- Serves as the direct contact/liaison for custodial/porter services to maintain all aspects of the Wellness & Success Center and Sports Field.
- Assesses, evaluates, and mitigates risk for all facilities to ensure compliance with university, local and state standards, as well as follow industry standards; Contributes to departmental risk and safety plans in collaboration with the departmental Safety Committee; Creates, interprets, and applies policies and procedures.
- Serves as the direct contact/liaison for IT technology for TV's and computers and other technologies located within Wellness & Success Center to insure proper functioning and maintenance of units.
- Serves as the property custodian for department.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Part-time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Occasionally assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating part-time employee performance; scheduling work hours; coaching and counseling; training; granting time off. Provides recommendations on hiring and discharging part-time employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Sports Administration/Management or related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of job-related experience
- Experience managing a facility
- CPR certification
- First Aid certification
- AED certification
- Experience working on a college campus and in a campus recreation department or at a fitness center/gym
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment 2 to 4 hours and a sports field or court and gymnasium 2 to 4 hours.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Work involves occasional exposure to inclement weather and extreme temperatures. May, on rare occasions, be required to work near moving mechanical parts or in hazardous traffic conditions. Must have good spatial awareness, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. May be required to move items of up to 30lbs. Works evening, weekend and holiday hours.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.