Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3406
Title: Coordinator, Laboratory
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Research
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Coordinator, Laboratory coordinates the lab preparations and daily operations of assigned labs, and coordinates common lab supply usages between classrooms and research labs.
- Provides technical and instructional support.
- Collaborates with the Environmental and Health and Safety Department to oversee the implementation of safety procedures in the lab based on federal and state guidelines.
- Oversees lab personnel and provides guidance and proper training.
- Procures and maintains lab supplies and equipment.
- Manages the lab budget.
- Ensures that safety procedures are implemented.
- Researches and builds lab experiments as needed and approved.
- Assists the department and research personnel to conserve resources.
- Provides specialized classroom instruction to students as required.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Supervises student workers and/or Part Time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Manages student assistants, conducts performance evaluations, and makes hiring recommendations.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- None Required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of safe operational practices in a lab environment.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good project management skills.
- Ability to manage student workers
- Ability to manage a budget
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in some or all of the following environments during the working day; an office (2 to 4 hours); a science laboratory (6 to 8 hours); a classroom, training room, or auditorium (2 to 4 hours).
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Occasional lifting, pushing, climbing, and pulling may be required.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.