Basic Position Information
Job Code: 5358
Title: Coordinator, Esports
Department: Student Activities
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Support
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 11
Grade Min: $39,923
Grade Mid: $46,910
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: N
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Coordinator, Esports coordinates, markets, and facilitates esports programs.
- Recruiting and retaining students for eSports program
- Conducting coaching and instruction activities during training, practice, and competition
- Coordinating off-season, practice, and competition schedules
- Assisting with team travel when necessary
- Running camp, clinics, and promotional events
- Ensuring team compliance with all leagues, conference, and institutional rules and regulations
- Continuously ensuring program reputation are in alignment with the UHD values and brand
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Part-time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Occasionally assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance; scheduling work hours of other employees; on coaching and counseling; training; handling employee grievances and complaints; granting time off. Provides recommendations on promotions; salary increases; hiring new employees; discharging employees; and disciplinary actions.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of two (2) years of job-related experience. Coaching or teaching experience, at least one (1) year competitive esports experience involving multiplayer online video games with team-based elements and expert knowledge of League of Legends and/or similar games. Understanding of hardware and software utilized in gaming.
- None Required
- Bachelor's degree in Health and Human Performance or related field
- Experience coaching or playing in collegiate esports program. Experience in recruiting. Expert knowledge in games like Overwatch,
- League of Legends, Fortnite, Valorant, Apex Legends, CS:GO, Call of Duty, Rainbow Six Siege, Super Smash Bros., and DOTA2.
- Understanding of hardware/software utilized in livestreaming, and online broadcasting tools such as OBS, Zoom, Twitch, Facebook Live and YouTube Live.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to demonstrate a vision for the collegiate esports program at UHD.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Office or gaming room environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements. Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.