Associate Director, Office of Study Abroad
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3456
Title: Associate Director, Office of Study Abroad
Department: International and Study Abroad Programs
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Program Administration
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Associate Director, Office of Study Abroad oversees the study abroad program at UHD. This includes promoting the Student Abroad Program to students and guiding them through the application process for interning or studying abroad as part of their UHD experience as well as assisting faculty who lead Study Abroad trips.
- Provides advice to students on an individual and group basis relating to academic and personal goals, program selection, health and safety issues, inter-cultural competency, the application process, and the practical considerations regarding living abroad, such as visa, medical, and housing requirements.
- Develops cultural workshops and organizes guest speakers and informational fairs promoting international education opportunities and International Education Week, keeping within the budget for such events.
- Advises undergraduate and postgraduate students of the potential financial assistance that is available to them; assists students with scholarship applications, helping them to be competitive candidates for national and internal competitive study abroad scholarships.
- Completes scholarship memos for students, forwards them to the senior manager and provost for approval, and submits them to the scholarship department for processing.
- Develops a deep understanding of UHD's purpose, mission, vision, and values prior to creating a variety of study abroad policies, including policies on academic courses, travel, conduct abroad, and Health & Safety; ensures that all policies comply with applicable local, state, and federal policies and regulations.
- Creates and delivers a range of events and content to promote study abroad to the UHD community; analyzes data from such marketing activities to gage success and to identify potential areas for improvement.
- Posts policies and updates on the appropriate website, ensuring that students have access to the most up to date information.
- Advises faculty members who lead study abroad trips as part of their courses.
- Develops partnerships with foreign universities for student exchange programs.
- Oversees faculty/staff committees for crisis management and student scholarships.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Supervises student workers
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Supervises the work of student employees.
- Bachelor's degree in International Studies, Education, or a related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- Passport Acceptance Processor certification is an asset
- Master's degree in International Studies, Education, or a related field is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of J1 and F
- 1 visa processes;
- Strong understanding of issues, trends, and best practices in immigration and education abroad, and in servicing and developing programs for international students;
- Knowledge of living or studying abroad.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in using social media platforms and in film editing.
- Ability to provide advice to students;
- Ability to create and measure the success of marketing campaigns;
- Ability to update and manage a webpage development; ability to oversee a budget;
- Ability to write policies;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community, including embassy and government officials.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.