Associate Director, Graduate Studies
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3080
Title: Associate Director, Graduate Studies
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Success
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Associate Director works with the College leadership and Graduate Program Directors to develop, implement, and coordinate all activities related to graduate programs in the College. The Associate Director provides leadership for the organizational structure, operational procedures, program development, and enhancement of graduate programs.
- Oversees all activities related to supporting and improving graduate programs. Coordinates and leads regular individual and group meetings with program directors to collaborate with and guide priorities, policies, processes, and best practices, provides updates and training as needed
- Recruits, markets, promotions, all activities related to finding and enrolling new students and works on the website design, content, updates, project-managing the marketing efforts
- Coordinates the information sessions, attends conferences or other off-campus events, and creates and implements communication campaigns to the prospective audience
- Communicates with prospective students through email, phone, and live chat and assists with general questions about programs, and guides the students through the application process
- Provides a basic level of advising, connects to appropriate resources on campus, sends out timely reminders about deadlines and the academic calendar, communicates about "applying to graduate," etc.
- Assesses, stores data, and tracks all graduate programs' prospective students, current students, and alumni. Provides data and analysis to the college leadership and program directors on a regular or as-needed basis
- Assists, reviews, updates, develops the timeline and identifies the available budget for the Graduate scholarship. Oversees the application reviewing process, provides detailed documentation and ensures funds are properly distributed.
- Serves as the key representative and liaison for the college graduate programs with other university departments in meetings and regular interaction (Admissions, University Relations, Registrar's Office, Financial Aid, Provost's Office, other UHD Colleges, etc.)
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- None required
- Master's degree is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of graduate programs in a higher education environment and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices;
- Knowledge of graduate program admissions requirements and prerequisites;
- Knowledge of relevant university policies and procedures
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office, EAB Navigate, and PeopleSoft;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to make presentations;
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 30lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.