Associate Director, Accounting
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2815
Title: Associate Director, Accounting
Department: General Accounting
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Accounting, Budget & Finance
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Associate Director of Accounting is responsible for the timely and accurate reporting of the University's operating results on a monthly, annual (AFR), and ad-hoc basis and ensures compliance with GAAP. Manages the universities property records and reporting in compliance with state and federal laws, policies, and procedures.
- Manages the financial reporting functions of the University consistent with standard accounting practices and policies on a quarterly and annual basis, such as (IPEDS, IFRS, Sources, Uses, Annual Property Inventory, etc.)
- Manages the day-to-day accounting functions, which include chart of accounts maintenance, property accounting, state accounting, general ledger, bank account, and accounts receivable reconciliations, including set-up/reconciling student accounting to finance system
- Coordinates the fiscal year-end processes and procedures and UHD's submission of the Annual Financial Report (AFR), including financial ratios, fluctuation analysis, fund equity analysis, and various other federal, state, and UHS reports
- Manages the following: financial system access/security for the University on various financial/reporting systems including USAS, PeopleSoft Finance, Property Management Systems, state and federal reporting systems; Changes regarding policies and procedures; training to UHD staff on financial systems, property management
- Coordinates work relating to both internal and external audits in the periodic review of the financial records, including audits regarding accreditation; oversees the implementation of agreed-upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility resulting from the audit findings
- Coordinates Property Management, including the whole lifecycle from acquisition to disposal, and responsible for coordinating with Information Technology (IT) and all departments to complete inventory and produce accurate financial information regarding inventory, including utilizing various systems
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- May directly manage Full-Time, Part-Time, and/or Student Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- May have primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- None required
- Master's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or a related field
- Current Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Experience in Higher Education
- Experience with PeopleSoft Financials
- Experience with State of Texas Accounting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the trends, issues, and accepted practices of property management accounting in a higher education setting
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proficiency in using computer software, particularly MS Excel and PeopleSoft
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Manages assigned financial resources in compliance with federal, State, and university policies and procedures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure they are authorized and within approved budget.
- Reports accurate and reliable data of financial transactions and resources.
- Promptly notifies management of budget issues and/or discrepancies.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in one or more functional areas.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify user issues with existing systems and coordinate resolution with technical staff.
- Understands business processes to successfully integrate them with existing and new systems.
- Competent to coordinate requests for system modifications with technical staff.
- Willing to share expertise and provide functional assistance to others.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.