Assistant Director, Enterprise Database and Data Warehousing Services
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2219
Title: Assistant Director, Enterprise Database and Data Warehousing Services
Department: Enterprise Systems
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Technical Services
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director, Enterprise Database and Data Warehousing Services manages a group of database administrators and developers within the Enterprise System department, and ensures that the Enterprise administrative, academic, and business intelligence systems and development processes deploy and run successfully.
- Manages a group of database administrators and developers within the Enterprise System department; serves as their backup.
- Performs the planning, design, implementation, validation, and maintenance of the database and the data warehousing environments for the Enterprise administrative, academic, and business intelligence systems.
- Provides senior-level technical support to the Enterprise Systems group by troubleshooting and debugging databases, applications, and programming issues.
- Assists with the design, development, implementation, scheduling, and maintenance of the interface process, data sets, and reports associated with the ERP system, integrated applications, and business intelligence systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Full-time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s).
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- None Required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of ERP systems; knowledge of programming, web development, and PLSQL, knowledge of interfaces and web applications.
- Superior technical skills, and proficiency in managing universal databases, middleware, data warehouses, and business intelligence systems; strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and extract data; ability to build queries and dashboards; ability to create reports; ability to manage people; ability to troubleshoot issues and think creatively; ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in some or all of the following environments during the working day; an office (6 to 8 hours); a classroom, training room, or an auditorium (2 to 4 hours).
- Work is usually performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Must have the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.