Assistant Director, Academic Support Center
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3081
Title: Assistant Director, Academic Support Center
Department: Academic Support Center
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Academic Support
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director, Academic Support Center manages the day-to-day operations of the Writing and Reading Center and the Center for Math and Statistics.
- Hires, trains, assesses, monitors, schedules, recruits, and budgets for a staff of approximately 50 faculty, graduate, professional, undergraduate tutors, and support staff.
- Provides outreach to students, staff, and faculty via appropriate means to promote the center.
- Develops academic support initiatives such as maintaining existing programs, designing new programs, performing workshops, and designing other suitable resources for students.
- Researches new initiatives and trends in the field of student support, adopting those that best fit the needs of students at the university.
- Oversees the department budget and produces reports as required.
- Meets, liaises, and collaborates as necessary with other university departments.
- Performs administrative duties as necessary.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Supervises student workers and/or temporary employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Supervises the work of student and/or temporary employees.
- Master's Degree in related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- None required
- Doctorate degree
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of office and educational technology, including Blackboard and Microsoft Office 365.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; strong people management and administrative skills.
- Ability to use computer software and the ability to learn new software; ability to hire and train faculty and staff; ability to gain CRLA (College Reading & Learning Association) Certification.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.