Stop the Bleed Program
The University of Houston-Downtown has established a Stop the Bleed Program on campus with the goal of saving lives during traumatic injuries that cause major blood loss. The program includes stationing Stop the Bleed kits throughout campus buildings. The Office of Emergency Management manages the program which includes maintaining an inventory of kits and performing monthly checks on Stop the Bleed stations. Each station contains 5 Stop the Bleed Kits and 1 rescue litter.
What is the Stop the Bleed Program?
STOP THE BLEED® is a national campaign to encourage bystanders to become trained, equipped and empowered to help in a bleeding emergency before professional help arrives. Launched as a White House initiative, it is sponsored by a wide scale public-private partnership involving the US Department of Defense, the US Department of Homeland Security, the American College of Surgeons, the American Red Cross, the Stop the Bleed Coalition, and many other prominent organizations.
Stop the Bleed Kits include:
- 1 Pair of gloves
- 1 Pair of trauma shears
- 1 SOF tourniquet
- 1 OLAES 6” modular bandage
- 1 Occlusive dressing
- 2 Packets compressed gauze
Stop The Bleed Interactive Course https://www.stopthebleed.org/training/online-course/
Stop the Bleed Instructional Videos:
- OLAES Modular Bandage Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om_xyrA4ClA
- SOF Tourniquet Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCMhLlWlvqg
- Occlusive Dressing Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm4IpGyBxsA
- Compressed Gauze Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKfJT-1KkLs
- Litter Video - https://youtu.be/7oIx-CwgtDg?si=H7BMOUlfNydotUF6&t=82