The Do’s & Don’ts for Space Heater Safety
Portable space heaters are a potential source of fire if not used properly. The requirements listed below, and the manufacturer’s recommendations, must be followed to maintain a safe environment. If your space heater causes the breakers to trip, contact UHD Facilities and follow their instructions. If you will be using a portable space heater, ensure you follow these safety practices.
- Only electric heaters are permitted indoors.
- ALWAYS plug heater directly into a wall receptacle. NEVER plug it into an extension cord or surge protector.
- All heaters must be Underwriters Listed (UL) or a testing agency that adheres to UL testing standards.
- Only use models that shut off automatically when tipped over.
- Heaters must be monitored when in operation. Turn off your space heater when you leave the office.
- Heaters must be kept at least 3 feet (36 inches) from all combustible materials (file cabinets, desks, trash cans, paper boxes, etc.).
- Keep space heaters away from exit ways, walkways, and paths of travel.
- All space heaters are prohibited in labs.
- All heaters must have an automatic shut-off timer.
- NEVER place space heaters under desks.
- Do not use space heaters in wet areas like bathrooms or kitchens.
- Do not operate any heater with a damaged cord or plug, or after the heater. malfunctions, or has been dropped or damaged in any manner.
- NEVER use space heaters in any laboratories.
- Do not run the cord UNDER carpeting; do not cover the cord with throw rugs, runners, or any objects. Arrange cord away from traffic area where it will not be tripped over.
- Do not pinch the space heater cord under furniture or with any other items.
- Do not place anything on top of a space heater.
- Do not place the heater where it will create a tripping or evacuation hazard.
- NEVER use a space heater to block open doors to distribute the heat.
- Do not leave the heater running when you leave the room.
- Do not use a space heater in areas where gasoline, paint, or flammable liquids are used or stored; a heater has hot arcing or sparking parts inside.
- NEVER use open coil space heaters on campus.
The following are examples of ALLOWABLE space heaters.
The following are examples of space heaters NOT permitted on campus.
Space heater safety links:
- Space Heater Video 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW7h5KpDmJw
- Space Heater Video 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NeI40EiQwU