Lambda Pi Eta
Lambda Pi Eta (LPH) is the National Communication Association’s official honor society at four-year colleges and universities and an accredited organization of the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS). LPH has more than 500 active chapters at four-year colleges and universities nationwide. The purpose of the honor society is to promote outstanding academic achievement in the Communication discipline.
The organization’s Greek letters represent the three elements of persuasion as described by Aristotle: logos (Lambda), meaning logic; pathos (Pi), emotion; and ethos (Eta), meaning character credibility and ethics.
Membership is open to UHD Communication Studies majors and minors. New members are inducted each December in a ceremony celebrating their accomplishments. Students who are interested in a taking on leadership responsibilities are encouraged to reach out to Dr. Hatfield, Faculty Advisor, at email@example.com. Dr. Hatfield currently serves on the National Communication Association’s Lambda Pi Eta Faculty Advisory Board and has supported UHD’s chapter since 2015.
The Six Goals of Lambda Pi Eta
The mission of Lambda Pi Eta is to:
- Stimulate interest in the field of communication
- Promote and encourage professional development among communication majors
- Provide an opportunity to discuss and exchange ideas in the field of communication
- Establish and maintain closer relationships between faculty and students
- Explore options for graduate education in communication studies
Undergraduate Membership Requirements
- Completion of 60+ semester hours
- Completion of 12+ semester hours of COMM courses
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 in COMM courses
- Current UHD enrollment
Graduate Membership Requirements
- Complete 12 hours of graduate credit-hours in communication
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5
- Current UHD enrollment, in good standing
For more information about joining LPH, contact the faculty advisor