Faculty Team Research Incubator
Office Of Research And Sponsored Programs
Summer 2022 Faculty Team Research Incubator Pilot: Call for Applications
The UHD Office of Research & Sponsored Programs (ORSP) seeks to pilot three distinct UHD Faculty Team Research Incubators during the summer of 2022. Faculty participants will earn up to $3,000 for participating, contingent upon satisfying all deliverables associated with their assigned incubator program.
Concept: A research incubator is the intentional convening of faculty experts with a variety of skills, expertise, and perspectives around a shared topic of interest with the goal of developing and encouraging collaborative, inter- and multi-disciplinary research programs and scholarly publication groups.
The types and scope of research projects supported by incubators typically exceeds the capacity of a single faculty member. Effective research incubators often lead to new and cutting-edge research and scholarship programs that can enhance the acquisition of external funding, support the development of new intellectual property and patents, and result in enhanced publication rates for participating faculty. Intentionally designed incubators can also support novel interdisciplinary program and curriculum development.
Eligibility: UHD Tenured and Tenure-Track (T/TT) faculty members in good standing.
Incubator Requirements & Application to Participate:
- Each incubator must contain at least four or five T/TT faculty representing a minimum of two different UHD colleges. Each incubator cannot have fewer than four faculty.
- Each incubator participant will be eligible for up to $3,000 contingent upon:
- Each member completing an Incubator orientation provided by UHD faculty and staff;
- Each member completing the Responsible Conduct of Research and Human Subjects training in CITI;
- The Incubator meeting weekly in summer 2022 for a minimum of 4 hours per week between June 6 – August 5, 2022;
- Each member attending 80% of all scheduled Incubator meetings;
- The Incubator submitting all required reports and deliverables;
- The Incubator submitting a proposal for external funding to support the work after the Incubator experience (before August 31, 2023).
- Incubator participants will be paid $2,000 each at the end of the summer 2022 Incubator program and an additional $1,000 each after submission of a proposal for external funding and final report before August 31, 2023.
- Interested groups must submit a simple Incubator application (found attached to this e-mail) and a curriculum vitae or biographical sketch for each team member for consideration.
- Special consideration will be given to Incubator applications that focus on translational research and research programs that intersect with social justice issues.
In the event ORSP receives more than three incubator applications, a group of faculty peers, selected by the UHD Faculty Senate, will score the applications against a developed rubric to recommend which incubators to support.
Faculty that have questions or are interested in participating that need assistance in forming an incubator team should contact Dr. Jerry Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications are due to ORSP@uhd.edu by 5 p.m. on Monday, April 11, 2022.