Basic Position Information
Job Code: 4386
Title: Telecommunications Analyst
Department: Computing, Telecom & Video Net
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Computing / Telecom
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Telecommunication Analyst maintains telecommunication needs throughout the university community through a phone switch system, phone mail server, voice mail server, call center applications, network infrastructure, and telephone equipment.
- Administers the phone switch system, phone mail server, voice mail server and call accounting system
- Handles telecommunication moves, additions, and changes
- Maintains call center applications and functionality
- Compiles monthly call accounting for phone billing purposes
- Assists with the operating budget for telecommunication needs
- Orders new data communications materials for operating telecommunications and telephone equipment
- Maintains the use of emergency call boxes to the University Police Department
- Assists the telecommunications specialist with cable network infrastructure installations and maintenance
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- May be asked to respond to problems or provide service after hours
- Expected to carry and respond to cell phone and/or pager at all times
- Part-time employee
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Provides recommendations on training
- Associate's degree, 60 hours of college course work or two (2) years of technical training in related field
- Minimum of two (2) years of job-related experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- Siemens Hipath 4000 System Administration, Hipath Xpressions Administration, Hipath Procenter Administration
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Hipath ACD Administration preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Maintains proper technical skills to perform the job effectively
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment; technology server room; classroom, training room, auditorium; outdoor areas; Library environment; gymnasium or other physical training rooms
- Work is normally performed in a split office and data center environment work that can subject employees to abnormal temperatures and noise
- Position may require light to heavy physical effort in handling, lifting, pushing or pulling of objects and equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
- May requires some standing, walking, climbing, stooping and bending in confined areas
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks
- May drive the university's vehicle
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills with multiple hardware and software systems.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify and troubleshoot user issues.
- Competent to install and configure new systems.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical support to others.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.