Principal Project Manager
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2554
Title: Principal Project Manager
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Principal Project Manager manages capital improvement and renovations projects, ensuring that the real estate assets of UHD are maintained in excellent condition.
- Develops and manages all aspects of projects including, but not limited to, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, drywall, ceilings, doors, windows, light fixtures, ductwork, fire sprinklers, parking lots, roofs, full building exterior, new building construction, signage, and space inventory
- Ensures that projects are completed on schedule, within budget, and following applicable government laws and code standards
- Oversees the contract administration process, from scope development to procurement of architects, engineers, and vendors, to contract execution and project closeout
- Plans, defines, organizes, coordinates, and directs various departmental relationships for the assigned projects
- Effectively manages resources and staff in a manner that yields optimal productivity through managing workloads and conflicts and providing training and guidance
- Represents the university at internal and external meetings and on internal and external committees
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience, including experience in Project Management and Construction
- None required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of construction trades and practices, and the related trends and issues;
- Knowledge of all applicable building codes
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in AutoCAD;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to manage a team;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment and in a demolition/construction environment
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has common exposure to inside and outside environments, wet and dry conditions, and cold and hot environments. Common exposure to hazards associated with building demolition, construction, and equipment operation
- Common exposure to noise and vibrations associated with demolition, construction, and equipment operation
- Requires the ability to climb and maintain balance on ladders and scaffolds
- Work involves frequent stooping, reaching, and handling, and requires the ability to occasionally kneel and crouch.
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 100lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Manages project stages from proposal to completion ensuring project objectives are met within project budget and projected time frames.
- Clearly defines roles and responsibilities of project team; ascertains and secures necessary resources; and monitors project performance.
- Keeps management apprised of project status.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.