Basic Position Information
Job Code: 9060
Title: Police Cadet
Department: Public Safety
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Police
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 09
Grade Min: $32,995
Grade Mid: $38,769
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Police Cadet is an entry-level non-sworn position with the University of Houston Downtown Police Department. This position is intended for the best-qualified applicant who will be brought on as a university employee and sent to an area police academy to receive their state peace officer certification. Cadet applicants will be required to complete the full hiring process for police officers.
- Attends classes, participates in classroom discussions and group projects, and maintains comprehensive notebooks of subjects covered in classes
- Prepares research papers and homework as assigned, maintaining satisfactory performance in all areas of the academy
- Participates in the physical training program, firearms training program, defensive tactics program, and practical problems
- Complies with assignments and instructions given by the UHD Department of Public Safety Chief of Police or any Criminal Justice Training Center Staff member
- Adheres to University of Houston System and University of Houston-Downtown Campus policies and procedures
- Adheres to University of Houston-Downtown Department of Public Safety Standards of operations
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- No experience required
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- Bachelor's degree
- Have military service with an honorable discharge or;
- A current University of Houston-System employee (not on probation) who is in good standing with their current department.
- Must be willing to sign the educational contract and must successfully complete all phases of the department selection process prior to attending the Criminal Justice Training Center Basic Peace Officer Certification Program
- Must remain in Police position for 2 years.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of relevant university policies and procedures
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to represent the university professionally
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- This is a uniform position in an indoor and outdoor environment
- All positions requiring peace officer certification should be prepared for full field duty at any time, regardless of primary assignment. Personnel may be reassigned to field duty, permanently or temporarily, to ensure appropriate field staffing levels
- May be allowed routine office wear as required for performance of duty
- Requires maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods, as well as for bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, jumping, and climbing; adequate speech, hearing, visual acuity, and ability to distinguish color is required;
- May be required to carry, push, pull, drag, or hold medium to heavyweight objects of up to 100 lbs. The use of fingers, both hands, both arms, and both legs are required
- May be required to take offensive and/or defensive action during physical confrontations. May be exposed to animal and human body fluids, hazards of emergency driving, hazards associated with traffic control and working in and near traffic, working in and near natural and man-made disasters, inclement weather conditions, and extreme temperatures
- May be required to work in and around heavy vehicles and equipment. May be exposed to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, and gases when assisting in emergency calls. Possible exposure to hazardous chemicals, high voltage and toxic materials, waste, and infectious diseases
- May involve exposure to an emergency public safety environment, emergency and disaster situations, potentially hostile environments, and dangerous and/or hostile people. Requires the ability to discharge a firearm safely. Requires the ability to operate motorized equipment and assigned vehicles safely. Requires frequent contact with the public
- Works irregular hours that include evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays
- Works overtime with short or no notice
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Recognizes and immediately reacts to potential danger.
- Uses sound judgment to protect co-workers, students, and citizens; enforce laws and ordinances; and diffuse threatening situations.
- Complies with police rules and regulations.
- Prepares clear and concise offense reports in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.