Manager, Alumni Relations
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2944
Title: Manager, Alumni Relations
Department: Advancement & University Relations
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: External Relations
Job Sub-Family: Alumni & Events
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Manager, Alumni Relations is responsible for the design and implementation of strategies to meet the community-building, fundraising and communication goals of the UHD
- Coordinates day-to-day activities of the office with minimal supervision; proposes and implements improvements to current processes and procedures.
- Serve the Alumni Council by supporting the President of the Alumni Association, organizing and attending Council meetings and directing the Council to achieve its purpose and mission.
- Works with Annual Giving Manager to increase alumni giving through the use of volunteer leadership, individual cultivation and prospect management
- Plans and organizes alumni events, which include but are not limited to: Homecoming, Alumni Awards Dinner, alumni campus visits and student events to welcome them to the Alumni Association.
- Creates and maintains events that provide a touch-point for all alumni age groups
- Coordinates and conceptualizes communications for the Alumni Association which include but are not limited to: the monthly newsletter, posting weekly on social media outlets; collects, organizes and edits Class Notes, works with relevant University Relations liaison as needed to accomplish goals
- Work with University Relations on alumni website and to maintain Alumni database updates as needed
- Establishes, analyzes and maintains a network of key contacts to aid in development and efforts to strengthen alumni involvement.
- Occasional weekend and evening work will be required; possible travel
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in alumni relations or student affairs, non-profit or donor relations.
- Experience managing volunteers
- Has demonstrated experience with various social media platforms through prior professional and/or personal experience
- Interest in alumni relations and fundraising and/or higher education
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates solid mastery of MS Office applications, especially MS Excel and Word, and good understanding of database applications
- Knowledge of the trends, issues, and practices pertaining to higher education.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal, customer
- service, and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally in writing and verbally;
- Ability to thrive in a fast
- paced environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituents in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is usually performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; may occasionally be required to work in inclement weather conditions. Individual has discretion in relation to sitting (80%) walking (5%), standing (15%) etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.