Linux Systems Manager
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2235
Title: Linux Systems Manager
Department: Information Technology
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Technical Services
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Linux Systems Manager manages the strategy, operations, and architecture of Linux and VMware systems, DNS administration, federated authentication services, Dual Factor Authentication, security concerning inbound/outbound transmissions, Enterprise Email security, Disaster Recovery Technology (Zerto), Identity and Access Management Solution, and High Performance Clusters at the university.
- Oversees the day-to-day operation of the Linux servers including hardware, software support and special projects; applies expertise and experience in Linux administration to improve processes and design solutions
- Manage the VMware virtualization environment; oversees the installation of upgrades, patches, and new versions of all VMware components (VSphere and VCenter). Act as a technical lead for major initiatives, changes and deployments within the virtual environment; assesses and evaluates current virtual computing infrastructure, and provides recommendations for enhancements
- Administers, manages, secures, troubleshoots, and supports Identity and Access Management (IAM) solutions for the University; provides subject matter expertise on IAM topics; creates and conducts training for staff on the use of IAM related tools and processes
- Manages, administers, secures, troubleshoots, and supports Federated SAML Single Sign-on (SSO) and Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) solutions for the university; provides subject matter expertise on SAML SSO and MFA topics
- Manages and administers Zerto Disaster Recovery (DR) solution for the university; provides subject matter expertise on the Zerto solution and Linux servers recovery
- Coordinates the implementation of all technologies for new and existing servers and applications
- Establishes priorities for direct reports to ensure task completion; coordinates work activities with other managers to meet deadlines and objectives; mentors and conducts training for junior level staff on the use of all managed tools and processes
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures; researches and troubleshoots technical issues
- Builds and configures servers
- Develops disaster recovery strategies
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full-time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of seven (7) years of related job experience, including continuing education or training in the field
- None required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Up to date knowledge of Linux and VMware systems, and related trends, issues, and accepted practices
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues; ability to multitask;
- Ability to use own initiative;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 15lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in a technical area.
- Effectively applies expertise to troubleshoot existing systems and develop solutions with existing technology.
- Competent to learn new technologies and integrate them with existing technology.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical assistance to others.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.