Basic Position Information
Job Code: 7064
Title: Labor Lead
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 09
Grade Min: $32,995
Grade Mid: $38,769
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Labor Lead assists in furniture setup and other miscellaneous functions supporting the University's events and projects by scheduling, creating, and assigning work orders for the labor shop.
- Moves and sets up furniture
- Demolishes walls
- Assists the carpenters, painters, electricians, and the A/C shop
- Cleans construction sites
- Drives forklift and scissor lifts
- Inputs, assigns, monitors, and evaluates tasks in the work order system
- Collaborates with staff, faculty, students, and visitors to gather information on event setups to achieve timely and quality event production
- Assists the architectural and MEP shops by coordinating and scheduling request of labor technician
- Occasionally drives/operates the University vehicles
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum of two (2) year of job related experience
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License to drive a vehicle
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in person and by phone
- Strong multi
- tasking and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- based environment
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in maintenance and custodial room
- ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB – These are the essential demands to perform the job:
- Lifting: Ability to lift up to 60 pounds
- Climbing/Balancing: Ability to climb a ladder and stairs and maintain balance
- Stooping/Bending Over: Frequent
- Sitting/Standing/Walking: 10% of time spent sitting, 45% of the time standing, 45% of time
- Reaching: Occasional overhead, as well as horizontal
- Hearing: Acute hearing required
- Speaking: Frequent/Cultural regional accents acceptable
- Vision: Corrected vision to 20/40
- Color Vision: Ability to distinguish all colors
- Other Consideration: No light-duty work
- ESSENTIAL ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS ON THE JOB – These demands document the environment of the specific
- job site:
- Inside/Outside: Inside and outside environment
- Cold/Heat: General air-conditioned environment, but occasional exposure to cold and
- Wet/Dry: Occasional exposure to wet/dry environment
- Noise/Vibrations: Occasional exposure to noise and vibrations
- Hazards: Normal physical hazards of construction, demolition
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.