Executive Director, Data Analytics and Institutional Research
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3626
Title: Executive Director, Data Analytics and Institutional Research
Department: Institutional Effectiveness
Essential Personnel: N/A
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Academic Affairs
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Executive Director, Data Analytics & Institutional Research oversees the Office of Data Analytics and Institutional Research implementation key institutional research functions, including strategic planning, research, reporting, and support of university and senior leadership initiatives. The Executive Director provides leadership, supervises, and coordinates the strategic operation of Data Analytics and Institutional Research (DAIR). staff. The Executive Director drives the overall vision of the unit by implementing effective strategies for data management, data science, and data analytics to support the centralized collection, management, analysis, interpretation, and reporting of data information and evidence for making data-informed decisions.
- Provides leadership and management for the Office of Data Analytics and Institutional Research (DAIR).
- Compiles and analyzes data and prepares reports in relation to questions, research purposes, and strategic planning efforts in a format that is easily used for decision-making by university constituents
- Prepares and presents research findings and analyses that support institutional decision-making, effectiveness, and services to various university and community audiences. Manages multiple projects concurrently and works collaboratively and/or independently toward project completion
- Demonstrates ability to analyze user requirements and use proven methodologies to design and implement information management to meet user requirements. Communicates complex and technical information in a clear and concise manner and coaches a range of stakeholders on the use of data to inform actionable decisions
- Establishes and maintains effective, collegial working relationships with campus constituents
- Serves as co-sponsor for the Education Advisory Board (EAB) software implementation; promotes the use of EAB analytics across campus to support student success
- Supports business analytics, institutional research, mandatory reporting at the state and federal levels, strategic planning, and other data-focused decision-support activities
- Communicates the value of data-derived information in a holistic decision-making model, considering the university mission, strategic plan, and relevant environmental factors
- Ensures that decision-makers have timely and useful information
- Oversees the operations, budget, and resource allocation of the department
- Develops strategic plans for growing and maintaining the university's analytic and data capacities
- Applies appropriate research methodology and statistical analysis to uncover insights that support university decisions
- Comprehensive understanding and demonstrates proficiency working in client/server environments, including extract, transform, and load processes and editing and testing for data integrity, system security and control, and backup and recovery processes
- Demonstrates an understanding of the data ecosystem – from data entry points to data warehouses, to queries and reports, to dashboards, including query and report validation to create actionable information for end users.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full-time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Terminal Degree
- Minimum of four (4) years of related job experience
- Experience with data governance to ensure accurate, reliable, and consistent institutional data
- None required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the activities and operations of an Office of Data Analytics and Institutional Research, and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices
- Advanced knowledge of statistical software
- Excellent knowledge in data management, data science, and data analytics,
- Good leadership and management skills;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in business intelligence tools (e.g., Logi, SQL, Tableau, PowerBi, Microsoft SQL, Banner, SAS, EAB Edify, or EAB Navigate).
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Ability to extract and manipulate data and produce reports;
- Ability to honor professional ethics and protect the confidentiality of information;
- Ability to meet deadlines; ability to exercise good judgement
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Leads the organizational unit's endeavors to achieve its goals and objectives in support of the university's vision and mission.
- Oversees the organizational unit's operations in accordance with the university's shared values of excellence, student success, inclusiveness, respect, and integrity.
- Fosters a dynamic work environment that encourages teamwork and cooperation.
- Accountable for oversight of organizational unit's projects and initiatives; monitors utilization of allocated resources and status of projected time frames.
- Ensures organizational unit's operation are in compliance with university and department policies and procedures; responsible for development and revision of policies and procedures for assigned area(s).
- Resolves complex issues after careful consideration of all relevant information.
- Collaborates with other university administrators to keep the university apprised of significant developments and issues.
- Manages the development and implementation of change initiatives to advance the university's goals and objectives.
- Assesses the availability of resources and ascertains additional resources required to effect change within projected timelines.
- Promotes the benefits of new methods, technology, and/or work environments resulting from changes.
- Addresses concerns to minimize impact of potential consequences of changes.
- Provides encouragement and support to employees through the change process.
- Supports changes in the university's organizational structure.
- Develops organizational unit's short- and long-term goals and objectives that align with the university's strategic plan.
- Establishes assessment measures to evaluate the organizational unit's progress toward accomplishing its goals and objectives.
- Determines priorities and allocates resources to achieve the organizational unit's goals and objectives.
- Anticipates potential difficulties and concerns, and develops feasible contingency plans.
- Collaborates with other university administrators to coordinate efforts across organizational units.
- Communicates the organizational unit's priorities and initiatives to employees and the importance of their contributions to the organizational unit's goals and objectives.
- Motivates employees by encouraging a commitment to excellence and recognizing employee accomplishments.
- Clearly defines employee responsibilities and expectations; provides guidance and constructive feedback.
- Encourages employee participation in professional development and training, and supports mentoring and on-the-job training to provide the tools for employees to be successful.
- Promotes teamwork and a work environment that fosters cooperation.
- Manages the resolution of performance issues expeditiously and with discretion.
- Manages assigned financial resources in compliance with federal, State, and university policies and procedures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure they are authorized and within approved budget.
- Reports accurate and reliable data of financial transactions and resources.
- Promptly notifies management of budget issues and/or discrepancies.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.