Director, Talent Acquisition and Management
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2070
Title: Director, Talent Acquisition and Management
Department: Human Resources
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Human Resources
Job Sub-Family: HR Services
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: Significant
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Talent Acquisition & Management designs and implements talent management strategies and programs to recruit and retain talent. The Director manages and directs employee relations for staff, serves as Deputy Title IX Coordinator, and oversees the life cycle of employment for all employees from the initial acquisition through on-boarding, performance management, professional development, and off-boarding.
- Directs the development of staffing strategies and workforce planning
- Develops and oversees talent acquisition and management programs and initiatives, including recruitment and hiring, new hire on-boarding, performance management, and training and development activities for employees and leaders
- Develops, manages, and evaluates staff training and career development programs; creates opportunities for professional development, individualized training, and coaching that support recruitment and retention
- Develops partnerships to deliver the maximum learning opportunities for employees
- Conducts investigations into complex and sensitive employee relations issues; ensures compliance with all state and federal discrimination and employment regulations
- Conducts individual and group assessments to assist with organizational development; collaborates with senior management to identify and develop key talent; serves as advisor on organizational and team development, talent management, and culture enhancement matters
- Initiates research, bench-marking studies, pilot programs, assessments, and other appropriate actions to identify and address existing and emerging recruitment and workforce learning gaps and new initiatives or programs
- Develops marketing and communications for all areas of oversight
- Collects and analyzes metrics for all areas of oversight
- Develops and maintains competency models; ensures linkage of talent management programs to overall business initiatives and human resources programs
- Oversees the foreign national employment and permanent labor certification process; oversees I-9 re-certifications; conducts annual audits of foreign national employment eligibility; maintains foreign nationals' public access files
- Serves as the university's liaison to the Texas Workforce Commission on all issues related to unemployment and unemployment claims; administers unemployment insurance processes.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance, hiring new employees, disciplinary actions, scheduling work hours, granting time off, and making recommendations on handling employee grievances and complaints.
- Master's degree
- Minimum of four (4) years at a management or senior administrative level with emphasis on employee/labor relations
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) credential
- Master's degree in Business Administration or Human Resources Management is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of applicable state and federal employment and labor laws and governmental compliance requirements
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to lead and manage a team
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
- Occasional lifting, pushing, climbing, and pulling may be required.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.