Director, Student Activities
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2255
Title: Director, Student Activities
Department: Student Activities
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Support
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Director, Student Activities is responsible for the development and improvement to student life . The Director, Student Activities engages students in social, volunteer, leadership, Fraternity/Sorority, career, organizational, and civic activities, including managing and coordinating campus events.
- Serves as primary lead of the UHD Food Market; orders inventory, schedules appointments, creates changes in the data, and registers participants as required.
- Provides oversight and acts as a resource to over 100 student organizations, including Student Government, Mariachi, eSports teams, Greek Life, Campus Activities Board, and the Council of Finance.
- Plans and coordinates multiple campus events, including, but not limited to, Welcome Week, Finals Week, UHD Lead, Bayou Bash, One Main Event, and the SOLD Conference.
- Oversees the UHD Student Lounge, ESPORTS Lounge, and the surrounding student organization and study spaces; oversees UHD volunteer opportunities.
- Develops, conducts, and drafts assessment plans and reports.
- Supervises, trains, evaluates, and provides development for professional, paraprofessional, and student staff.
- Maintains the calendar of events between Student Affairs and University Relations.
- Assists with orientations for incoming freshmen, transfer, and other students.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance; hiring new employees; disciplinary actions; makes final decision on scheduling employee work hours; makes final decision on coaching and counseling; training; provides recommendations on handling employee grievances and complaints; and makes final decision on
- Master's degree
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license.
- Master's degree in Higher Education is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of student affairs and higher education trends, issues, and accepted practices;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good marketing, social media, and promotional skills.
- Ability to be innovative and flexible;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Work involves occasional exposure to inclement weather and extreme temperatures. May, on rare occasions, be required to work in hazardous traffic conditions, near moving mechanical parts, or be exposed to the risk of an electric shock. May have exposure to mechanical or food oils. Individual will be exposed to the loud noise of a Student Activity Lounge. Must have clarity of vision and good spatial awareness. May be required to move items of up to 75lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.