Director, Strategic Initiatives and Projects
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2550
Title: Director, Strategic Initiatives and Projects
Department: Student Success
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Administrative Operations
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: Y
Criticality of Position: Crucial
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Strategic Initiatives and Projects in collaboration with division leadership, develops and executes critical initiatives contributing to goals of the Division. The Director collaborates with Divisional directors and other University leaders/faculty/staff to advance the University's strategic plan. The Director facilitates, tracks, and supports the development of a co-curricular model for student success and then collaborates with administrators to ensure the timely implementation, reporting of changes or additions.
- Manages complex university projects including developing and maintaining project timelines, conducts research, performs analyses, produces reports, and provides recommendations
- Addresses student inquiries routed to the VPs office.
- Provides support and guidance to divisional leadership regarding the management and coordination of strategic initiatives and special projects.
- Collaborates with University-wide leadership to articulate and implement continuous improvement and data-driven decision making in the provision of quality student success and student life services.
- Represents the Division on administrative committees and councils, in recruitment, retention, and student engagement efforts.
- Prepares communications, remarks, updates, reports, presentations, and meeting materials for the VP
- Supervises technology staff and part-time student and professional staff in the VPs office.
- Collaborates with institutional research and effectiveness in and tracking progress on division and department strategic and assessment plans.
- Serves as program and center support via technology
- Provides training and support
- Creates dynamic presentations
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance; hiring new employees; disciplinary actions; makes final decision on scheduling employee work hours; makes final decision on coaching and counseling; training; provides recommendations on handling employee grievances and complaints; and makes final decision on granting time off
- Master's degree
- Minimum of seven (7) years of related experience; two (2) years of experience in leadership and supervision
- None required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An understanding of shared governance and the importance of agenda setting, the ability to learn new technologies quickly, and the skill and tact needed to manage a variety of people with different education levels and backgrounds.
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position.
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to understand complex issues within a multifaceted organization
- Ability to keep multiple projects moving forward
- Ability to express ideas fearlessly
- Ability to generate clear and well –written presentations and planning documents quickly
- Ability to foster a positive dynamic as a member or leader of a team
- Ability to be responsive to multiple perspectives and integrate feedback in a way that Improves the project at hand
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Manages project stages from proposal to completion ensuring project objectives are met within project budget and projected time frames.
- Clearly defines roles and responsibilities of project team; ascertains and secures necessary resources; and monitors project performance.
- Keeps management apprised of project status.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.