Director, Events and Conference Services
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2456
Title: Director, Events and Conference Services
Essential Personnel: N/A
Job Family: External Relations
Job Sub-Family: Alumni & Events
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: Significant
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: N
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director of Events and Conference Services is responsible for management organization and coordination of events and/or conferences sponsored by key constituents to include: administration, faculty, students, or community partners. The Director will manage the daily operations of event management and provide collegial leadership in a hands-on work environment with a variety of people and processes. The director will produce events that reflect a standard of excellence and quality that represents the University well.
- Manages scheduling and logistical plans for campus events and conferences including those sponsored by individual departments, faculty members, administrators, external clients and events; implements an event management structure that ensures hands-on coordination and execution of day, evening and/or weekend events, serving as after hour contact/coordinator for internal support and event requestors
- Serves as the chief liaison between the client and university departments to include: facilities management, information technology, catering, public safety, general counsel, marketing, and other campus partners to ensure achievement of event objectives, site selection, contracts, and other logistical needs
- Spearheads strategic meetings with all pertinent campus service providers, resolving problems and developing progressive operational policy and procedures
- Collaborates with external vendors as needed to assemble cost estimates, design floor plans, transportation and lodging requirements and ensures that all required elements are in order
- Oversees the billing/invoicing and collection of all rentals and services for conferences and associated events to achieve event objectives
- Oversees facility rental process and revenue contracts and permits are completed in compliance with UH System and University policies for services and events related to external business
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with internal and external partners
- Develops administrative systems to support efficient business processes, for space reservation, event coordination, management, and marketing
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full and Part Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance; hiring new employees; disciplinary actions; makes final decision on scheduling employee work hours; makes final decision on coaching and counseling; training; provides recommendations on handling employee grievances and complaints; and makes final decision on granting time off
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of four (4) years of progressive event planning experience in a high-volume complex academic or corporate setting
- Experience managing project budgets with a proven track record of being fiscally responsible
- Supervisory experience
- None Required
- Certified Special Events Professional
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to effectively solicit and manage external/internal vendors
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment 6 to 8 hours.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements. Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about sitting (80%) walking (10%), standing (10%), etc. Occasional lifting, pushing, climbing, and pulling may be required. Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Manages project stages from proposal to completion ensuring project objectives are met within project budget and projected time frames.
- Clearly defines roles and responsibilities of project team; ascertains and secures necessary resources; and monitors project performance.
- Keeps management apprised of project status.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.