Coordinator, Financial Aid Processing
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2244
Title: Coordinator, Financial Aid Processing
Department: Financial Aid
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Financial Aid
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Coordinator, Financial Aid Processing coordinates all tasks associated with awarding scholarships, grants, or other financial assistance to students.
- Enters Hazlewood student applications on PeopleSoft; advises the Student Business Office to apply the award to student tuition and fees; completes the Texas Veterans Commission report due after each term.
- Completes the Return to Title IV for students who did not complete at least 60% of their semester; composes suitable correspondence for the student, explaining why they are required to return a portion of their financial aid award for the semester.
- Verifies the accuracy of the information the student and parents provide on their FAFSA, by comparing it with the information on their IRS Tax Transcript; reviews each file to determine if it needs to be loaded into PeopleSoft for review.
- Reviews student's Satisfactory Academic Plan appeals; determines if the student made progress and will continue on an ACDPLN; suspends student and removes aid if no progress is made.
- Liaises with students to keep them up to date regarding their financial aid status, replying to emails, calling students, and conducting Zoom calls as necessary.
- Produces and analyzes reports as necessary.
- Performs data entry and administrative tasks as required.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- None required
- Five (5) years of related job experience is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of the federal and state regulations that govern student financial aid eligibility, including Texas Commission Board Reporting and Hazlewood, and of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices;
- Knowledge of the Department of Education websites, including COD, NSLDS, and FAA Access.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in PeopleSoft, MS Excel, and Banner;
- Excellent customer service skills, good problem
- solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to verify data;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Work involves occasional exposure to inclement weather and extreme temperatures. May, on rare occasions, be required to work near moving mechanical parts. Must have good spatial awareness, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. May be required to move items of up to 20lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.