Accountant III/Property Manager
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2136
Title: Accountant III/Property Manager
Department: General Accounting
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Accounting, Budget & Finance
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Accountant III/Property Manager ensures that daily accounting staff operations are executed, advises departments and other reporting entities on financial inquiries and coordinates the month-end and year-end close processes in accordance with regulatory requirements and standards.
- Coordinates and participates in preparing various state and federal reports on a quarterly and annual basis, such as (IPEDS, IFRS, Sources, and Annual Property Inventory, etc.)
- Coordinates and participates in the submission of the University's Annual Financial Report(AFR), including financial ratios, fluctuation analysis, fund equity analysis, and guiding Accounting staff on financial statement preparation/analysis
- Manages Property Accounts, including the whole lifecycle from acquisition to disposal, and coordinates with IT and all departments to complete inventory and produce accurate financial information regarding inventory, including utilizing various systems
- Reviews and delegates to ensure state-funded payroll transactions are correct and posted, payments for benefits are timely and accurate, payroll analysis and projections for the Budget Office and Accounting for fund balance analysis
- Reviews the amount of statutory and designated tuition that is collected, required withholding amounts are transferred, and correct amounts deposited into the state treasury; Final approver on all journal entries for UHD; Ensures all UHD and UHS deposits are made by established state deadlines
- Approves and delegates to ensure transactions related to cash deposits/expenses are reconciled with the university's general ledger, reconciliations with financials, student systems, and property management. Coordinates/reviews budget entries in USAS as required by the State of Texas.
- Reviews and delegates month-end and close year-end processes for Finance by ensuring journal entries, including cash allocations, are processed and posted in a timely manner by all UHD departments involved to meet the UHS closing deadlines; Represents the University at system meetings, state and national conferences
- Collaborates with internal and external groups regarding system implementation and upgrades. Provides system training and advice on the state budget, payroll, and financial matters; Provides senior management with reports and financial data to assist them in making sound financial decisions
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- May assign, schedule and monitor the work of staff
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- None required
- Master's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or a related field
- Current Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Experience in Higher Education is preferred
- Experience with PeopleSoft Financials
- Experience with State of Texas Accounting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the functions of USAS;
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the university as they pertain to the accounting function
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proficiency in using computer software, particularly MS Excel and PeopleSoft
- Ability to establish budgets, make payments for the state, and check cash balances;
- Ability to produce reports;
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to meet deadlines
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
Research and Analysis
- Applies knowledge and skills to collect and analyze relevant data and information.
- Assesses benefits and risks, and prepares comprehensive reports of findings.
- Submits recommendations for management's review and evaluation.
- Manages assigned financial resources in compliance with federal, State, and university policies and procedures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure they are authorized and within approved budget.
- Reports accurate and reliable data of financial transactions and resources.
- Promptly notifies management of budget issues and/or discrepancies.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.