Bachelor of Sciences in Biology With Concentration in Molecular and Cellular
On Campus (In-Person)
The Bachelor of Science degree program at the University of Houston-Downtown provides a broad-based curriculum in the liberal arts, the Natural Sciences and a set of courses specifically in biology with a focus in molecular and cellular biology. This concentration requires molecular biology, cellular biology and additional courses that cover a broad collection of topics in molecular and cellular biology. This degree is designed to meet the needs of those interested in careers in medical, dental, or other health professions.
The degree program will prepare those interested in graduate work in cellular or molecular biology. It will also prepare students for rewarding careers through smaller classes, faculty mentoring, modern labs, hands-on experience and flexible class options. Students are encouraged to participate in an appropriate field experience or research activity as part of their curriculum.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
Graduates who earn a BS in Biology will be able to:
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of the discipline (Basic Knowledge).
- Demonstrate laboratory skills common to modern laboratories (Laboratory Skills).
- Effectively communicate scientific information in writing and in oral presentations (Communication Skills).
- Demonstrate the use of scientific reasoning to analyze and interpret data and implement project-based activities (Scientific Reasoning and Research).
- Work as part of a team (Teamwork).
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethical standards for the responsible conduct of scientific research and its applications (Ethics).
DEGREE PLAN INFORMATION
The following four-year degree plan is based on the UHD 2021-2022 academic catalog. Students should meet with a UHD Academic Advisor to develop their own plan.
- Catalog Degree Description
- Four Year Degree Plan
- Transfer Information
- Integrated Requirements
- Minor Requirements
ADMISSIONS AND DECLARATION OF MAJOR
Students may be admitted to and declare a major in Biology with Concentration in Molecular and Cellular if they meet the following criteria:
There are numerous career options to choose from in the field of molecular and cellular biology; many companies need molecular or cellular expertise. Graduates find appealing jobs in medicine, botany, genetics, and biotechnology. This curriculum will prepare students for careers such as::
- Molecular Biologist
- Cellular Biologist
- Laboratory Technician
- Biology Teacher (secondary school level)
- Research Specialist
- Dental Hygienist
- Dietician Nurse
- Radiology Technician
- Bioinformatics 22 Hours Minimum
- Chemistry 21 Hours Minimum
- Physics 20 Hours Minimum
We aim to foster your academic, personal, and professional goals. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the program coordinator.
One or more documents on this site are in PDF format. In order to view and print these document(s), you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader software. It can be downloaded from the Adobe website.