To start your journey to becoming a police officer at UHD CJTC, carefully follow each step:
Download and print the Basic Peace Officer Information Packet
- Register for a Basic Peace Officer Class listed below.
Down and print the Personal History Statement
- It is IMPERATIVE that you read the entire BPOC Packet before proceeding
- You must complete the entire packet prior to the mandatory registration meeting, including:
- Physical/drug screen
- Psychological evaluation
- Electronic Fingerprinting
- Note: Pay close attention to the timeline for the above requirements.
|Basic Peace Officer #292 (Night)||700||August 8, 2016 - March 23, 2017||FULL|
|Basic Peace Officer #293 (Day)||700||August 15, 2016 - December 7, 2016||FULL|
|Basic Peace Officer #294 (Morning)||700||October 17, 2016-|
June 9, 2017
|Basic Peace Officer #295 (Day)||700||January 2, 2017 -|
April 26, 2017
|Basic Peace Officer #296 (Night)||700||January 2, 2017 - |
August 17, 2017
|Basic Peace Officer #297 (Morning)||700||January 23, 2017 -|
September 4, 2017
|Basic Peace Officer #298 (Day)||700||May 1, 2017 - |
August 22, 2017
|Basic Peace Officer #299 (Night)||700||August 7, 2017 - |
March 22, 2018
|Basic Peace Officer #300 (Day)||700||August 14, 2017 - December 6, 2017||Register Now|
Morning Courses: Meet Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., *3 Driving Labs
Day Courses: Meeting Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., *3 Driving Labs
Evening Courses: Meet Monday through Friday from 6:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., *3 Driving Labs
Driving Labs are held on Saturdays, dates vary for each Basic Peace Officer Training Class
Tuition for the Basic Peace Officer course is $2,000.00. The Tuition will include the student's Class A Uniforms, Physical Training Uniforms, Books, Insurance and Background Investigation. To enroll in the Basic Peace Officer Certification Program all applicants must enroll online by choosing one of the above courses. A NON-REFUNDABLE $50.00 registration fee is required at that time. This fee does not apply to the $2.000.00 course fee. This fee is required in order to reserve a position in the training program. Reservations are accepted on a first come, first serve basis. If you are unable to attend your "reserved" class, your reservation fee may be credited to a future class upon your request, within one year. All enrollees are required to make a $500.00 payment on the first day of class by using the online process. The total amount must be paid in full, no later than two weeks prior to graduation.
The Criminal Justice Training Center has two payment options available for the Basic Peace Officer Certification Program:
- Promissory note filled out on the first day of class with the balance of the course tuition paid in full prior to the final two weeks.
- Course paid in full on the first day of class.
- For qualified Veterans - they may use their GI Bill**
A MANDATORY registration class will be set up approximately 1 week prior to the course start date. The below documents will be turned in at this time. Applicants will not be allowed in class without the following, completed documents. Applicants will then receive a final confirmation email that their entrance has been approved.
- Application for Admission
- L-2 Medical Screening Form/L-3 Psychological Evaluation
- Medical Screening Form (Form AE-6)
- Statement of applicant (notarized)
- Completed Personal History Statement
- Approval letter from TCOLE on file, certifying eligibility to take the course (it is recommended that the FAST finger print background check be completed no later than 3 weeks or no sooner than 90 days prior to the start date to confirm receipt)
- Certified copy of birth certificate
- Social Security Card
- High school diploma or G.E.D.*
- Copy of valid Texas driver's license and Social Security Card
- Three (3) year driving record TYPE 2 from DPS website
- Agency Letter if being sponsored or currently employed by a police agency
- If you are a military veteral your DD214 discharge papers**.
**If you are a veteran you will need a honorable DD2-14 and copies of all transcripts from other schools. Veterans using their G.I. Bill are exempt from the first day payment of $500.00.
***All Cadets must be U.S. Citizens***
The University of Houston-Downtown
Applied Business & Technology Department, 7th floor, is the new Houston location for Electronic testing for TCOLE exams. To reserve a seat for your test please call (713) 221-8032 or (713) 221-8478. The Peace Officer exam fee is $25.00 with a reservation and $35.00 "walk-in". You must have a "Letter of Eligibility" and a Photo I.D. in order to test.