Ten Markers of a Successful Online Course
CHSS Online Teaching Initiative
Ten Marker of a Successful Online Course
The following ten markers of a successful online course should guide you in developing
your course materials and tools:
- The course has a set of clear course objectives, appropriate materials, and assessment techniques. The course materials and assignments are engaging, stimulating, and rigorous.
- The curriculum design is driven by pedagogical goals, not technology (Cargile Cook 65).
- The course materials are accessible and easy to navigate. The instructor defines options for students with disabilities.
- The course syllabus clearly describes technology requirements, time commitments, and required computer skills.
- The schedule lists all due dates, tasks, and tools needed to complete tasks.
- The instructor provides students with timely feedback.
- The instructor gives students opportunities to collaborate with other students.
- The instructor ensures that students have frequent synchronous and/or asynchronous communications with the instructor and other students.
- The instructor specifies clear file-naming procedures and submission guidelines (what, where, and how to submit).
- The instructor establishes his/her presence in the course by posting frequent announcements, sending emails, and responding to questions using the discussion board.