Sept. 14, 2022 - LMS transition to Canvas-website and call for faculty to pilot in Spring 2023
As shared in previous messaging, UHD will be transitioning to a new Learning Management System (LMS), Instructure Canvas, in the coming 18 months with a target start date for all courses of Spring 2024.
To maximize transparency about the process and to provide regular resources and updates, the LMS Transition Team has launched an LMS Transition to Canvas webpage available from the Academic Affairs website. This site includes resources, timelines, and FAQs. The website will be an evolving resource, so please let us know what we can add that would be helpful.
As you'll see from the timeline, a key stage of the transition is a faculty pilot of Canvas in the Spring 2023 semester.
We are seeking full-time faculty from a range of departments, experience levels, and modalities who will teach one or more of their Spring 2023 courses (16-week or 8-week) in Canvas as well as provide some support to colleagues in Summer and Fall 2023. A few key elements of the pilot are as follows:
- Be prepared to start trainings on Canvas in late October and early November.
- Teach one or more sections in Canvas in Spring 2023 and participate in conversations and surveys with the LMS transition team.
- Be available for 10 hours in Summer 2023 and 15 hours in Fall 2023 to serve as a resource to colleagues in our training processes.
- Communicate with students in the class about the pilot and what they can expect.
- Participants will receive dedicated support from TTLC staff and will be compensated.
As with any pilot, there may be some challenges and the faculty, staff, and students involved will need to be able to navigate the system and be willing to help with solutions and temporary workarounds.
Apply online and find complete details of the pilot on the website. Deadline is October 7, 2022 with decisions by October 17. Feel free to contact Georges Detiveaux (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or Michelle Moosally (email@example.com) with any questions about the pilot.
Please check out the new website regularly and feel free to contact any of the Transition Team members with questions or ideas.