Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2445
Title: University Registrar
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Enrollment Management
Job Sub-Family: Student Records
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: Y
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The University Registrar serves as a member of the Enrollment Management leadership team and is responsible for oversight the university's Registrar's Office and reports to the Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Management.
- Coordinates, supervises, and provides executive leadership for all functions and services of the University's Registrar's Office, including the student information system, registration, grading, degree and enrollment verification, academic records management, transcripts, compliance, application processing, and articulation, graduation auditing, and awarding of degrees
- Oversees the management of policies, processes, and operations of the Registrar's Office and provide leadership, innovation, vision, and accountability for the management of all records, registration policies, and services that support student success
- Provides oversight for integrity and accuracy of student academic record-keeping and transcript production and integrity in compliance with the University's academic policies and standards
- Oversees the conformity of educational record use, dissemination, and privacy of student information to University policies and legal requirements, including the Family Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other applicable laws and regulations as well as those of other regulatory agencies
- Oversees the implementation and effective use of systems for student information, degree audit, and other systems
- Provides leadership as the key liaison to IT and the Campus Solution Services for issues about all services offered by the Registrar's Office, including the development and maintenance of computerized records and registration systems
- Provides strategic input and develops recommendations for the implementation of related technology applications in support of enhanced services for students, faculty, and staff
- Monitors and verifies student enrollment data essential for official internal and external reporting related to academic and student records, including the National Student Clearinghouse, auditors, and accreditors, as needed
- Supervises the maintenance of the degree audit system and provide oversight for the monitoring of student's progress toward degree completion
- Promotes and maintains effective relationships with faculty, staff, and academic partners across campus and other institutions, collaborating on issues relating to curriculum, university policies, and other areas of Registrar responsibilities
- Oversees training, development, and maintenance of procedure manuals, regulations, and systems within the Registrar's office for the university community
- Supervises, trains, manages, evaluates, and develops staff within the office
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Full-time employees and part-time
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance; hiring new employees; disciplinary actions; makes final decision on scheduling employee work hours; makes final decision on coaching and counseling; training; provides recommendations on handling employee grievances and complaints; and makes final decision on granting time off
- Master's degree
- Minimum of five (5) years of related work experience
- Minimum of two (2) years of PeopleSoft experience
- Experience in understanding of administrative matters across higher education
- Experience in understanding of FERPA and experience on issues on the protection of confidential student records
- Experience of supervisory and track record of office leadership in an institution of higher education
- None Required
- Doctorate preferred
- Demonstrates success in leading, planning, implementing, and adapting to change
- Fluent in understanding and effective use of information technology
- Demonstrates a strong focus on the student experience and student success
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Knowledge of enterprise-scale student information systems, processes, and management
- Comprehensive knowledge in enrollment systems and well-versed in the requirements and processes of a successful Registrar
- Strong understanding of best practices in student registration and records, and understands the role of the Registrar in strategic enrollment management and student success
- Candidate must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational and conceptual skills
- Successful record of interacting with professionals across disciplines
- Detail-oriented and customer service and compliance-focused
- Proven record of accountability and follow-through
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about sitting, walking, standing, etc.
- Occasional lifting, pushing, climbing, and pulling may be required.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.