Systems Administrator III
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2803
Title: Systems Administrator III
Department: Technical Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Technical Services
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 17
Grade Min: $72,265
Grade Mid: $88,524
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Systems Administrator III performs various technical computer maintenance tasks relating to the configuration, installation, troubleshooting, repair, and general maintenance of the university computer systems.
- Administers, manages, secures, troubleshoots, and supports the infrastructure for the application protocol used for accessing and maintaining distributed directory information services over an Internet Protocol (IP) network (LDAP)
- Administers, manages, secures, troubleshoots, and supports the Linux Server Operating System environments
- Administers, manages, secures, troubleshoots, and supports the virtual infrastructure (VMWare vSphere), including deploying end user requested appliances
- Administers, manages, secures, troubleshoots, and supports the Identity Management Solution system and Multi Factor Authentication
- Provides escalated level support to other information technology departments
- Administers, manages, secures, troubleshoots, and supports Listserv, the DR Solution on-premise and in the cloud, and the Email Security Application
- Provides technical support and services to various internal and external constituents as required
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Associate degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- None required
- Bachelor's degree is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Anti-virus technology, Load Balancer technology, and Networking technology and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices;
- Knowledge of server security and compliance; knowledge of backup solutions; basic knowledge of scripting.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot; ability to work in a team environment;
- Ability to learn easily;
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Clarity of vision is required.
- Must be available to be on-call and work outside normal business hours when required
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in a technical area.
- Effectively applies expertise to troubleshoot existing systems and develop solutions with existing technology.
- Competent to learn new technologies and integrate them with existing technology.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical assistance to others.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.