Manager, Photography and Multimedia
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2750
Title: Manager, Photography and Multimedia
Department: Advancement & University Relations
Essential Personnel: N/A
Job Family: External Relations
Job Sub-Family: Communications & Marketing
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Manager, Photography & Multimedia manages, plans, and directs all photography and multimedia for the Division of University Advancement and University Relations and others as needed. The Manager works closely with multiple departments assisting staff and faculty across the university.
- Serves as the university photographer, producing and directing photography in coordination with various offices and departments
- Produces photography for a variety of applications, including editorial content, the UHD magazine, websites, and other marketing and communications collateral
- Shoots photos of special events for the Division of University Advancement and University Relations and for the Office of the President
- Serves as a producer for University Relations video and multimedia projects, coordinating talent, location, props, and production
- Manages and trains technical staff and student assistants supporting photography and multimedia
- Manages digital archives of university photography
- Plans, evaluates, and recommends equipment and resources required for the production and distribution of photography and multimedia
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Part-time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted as appropriate
- Minimum of five (5) years of job related experience
- None required
- Two (2) years of experience working in higher education is preferred
- Two (2) years of experience shooting photography at special events is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud or CS6, Photoshop, Photo Mechanic, Light Room, and other creative applications;
- Knowledge of cameras and camera control, shutter speeds, apertures, lens types, filters, and effects; knowledge of how to record clear audio under a variety of conditions; understanding of the principles of lighting for video and photo production
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to change;
- Ability to communicate tasks and ideas with a positive and constructive attitude;
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Work is performed both indoors and outdoors; there may be hot or cold weather involved when working outdoors.
- Work is normally performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
- Must be able to move up to 60 lbs., and to push and pull up to 100 lbs. Must be able to climb and maintain balance.
- Must be able to see; color vision is required.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.