Manager, Organizational and Talent Development
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2577
Title: Manager, Organizational and Talent Development
Department: Human Resources
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Human Resources
Job Sub-Family: HR Services
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 17
Grade Min: $72,265
Grade Mid: $88,524
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Organizational and Talent Development Manager (OTDM), devises strategies for the development and support of staff with an emphasis on staff with supervisory duties, to increase retention and strengthen UHD's position as an employer of choice that values and supports a diverse and inclusive staff.
- Designs and facilitates the Manager Development Program, ensuring that all new and newly promoted managers complete the program; maintains all attendance records. Maintain Manager Development (MD) learning calendar
- Designs, promotes, and facilitates development opportunities for all managers
- Facilitates departmental team-building sessions
- Oversees Talent Development activities and staff
- Conducts training needs analysis to define management-related training needs, identifies problems and areas of concern through collaboration with Employee Relations; researches and gathers data pertinent to programming and assists with the evaluation and measurement of program effectiveness; creates reports and dashboards
- Assists in employer recognition initiatives
- Oversees University annual and new hire mandatory training
- Designs programs and activities to address specific management problems
- Maintain UHD's leadership succession development plans
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of four (4) years of related job experience. Previous supervisory experience required.
- None required
- Master's degree preferred
- Experience designing and delivering learning content
- Experience in employee development
- Experience working with a Learning Management System (LMS)
- Experience advising and counseling managers
- Experience training and developing managers
- Experience with personality assessment tools
- SHRM, HRCI or ATD certification preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of initiatives that are appropriate and related trends, issues, and accepted practices.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- verbal and written
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong relationship management skills
- Strong technical acumen
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
- Clarity of vision is required
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.