Manager, Graphic Communications
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2201
Title: Manager, Graphic Communications
Department: Advancement & University Relations
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: External Relations
Job Sub-Family: Communications & Marketing
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: N
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Manager of Graphic Communications produces graphic design concepts and layouts for a variety of different applications and media in order to represent and communicate the UHD message and brand for both internal and external constituents. The Manager coordinates the production of materials as necessary with relevant vendors.
- Produces graphic design concepts and layouts for a variety of different applications and media, including, but not limited to, print, web, billboards, social media, and promotional items for internal and external constituents.
- Ensures that all graphic design concepts and layouts represent and communicate the UHD message and brand.
- Coordinates as necessary with vendors to produce printed pieces, billboards, banners, promotional items, etc., getting price estimates and following the production process through to completion to make sure the job is done correctly, in a timely fashion, and is delivered to the appropriate party.
- Coordinates with other department personnel regarding workload and to review work in progress and final products.
- Assists with official university events, particularly Presidential events and Commencement exercises.
- Performs administrative duties as necessary; maintains records of projects for review and end-of-year reports;
- Maintains software and hardware and subscriptions for various assets;
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Trains and counsels subordinate(s). Provides feedback to a supervisor regarding other employees' performance, but does not make hiring and dismissal recommendations.
- Associate's degree in Graphic design, Fine Arts, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- None required
- Basic knowledge of HTML is preferred
- Bachelor's degree is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of best practices for producing a wide variety of media assets, including resolution and ratios;
- Knowledge of all pertinent computer applications relating to design production, including Adobe Creative Suite; understanding of print production and web production.
- Strong customer service and organizational skills.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office and other commonly used software.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.