Manager, Custodial and Grounds Services
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 7136
Title: Manager, Custodial and Grounds Services
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 12
Grade Min: $42,123
Grade Mid: $51,601
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Manager, Custodial & Grounds Services manages, develops, and inspects Custodial, Landscape, Pest Control, and Waste Contracts to ensure compliance with maintenance contracts. The Manager supervises staff and contractors, and ensures that a high quality of facilities and service is provided to the faculty, staff, students, and visitors to the university.
- Manages Custodial Contracted Services, developing the scope of work and managing daily contract operations; meets with the Custodial Project Manager daily to assign, review, and inspect scheduled and unscheduled tasks.
- Manages Landscape Contracted Services, developing the scope of work and managing daily contract operations; meets with the Landscape Project Managers as required.
- Manages Pest Control Contracted Services, developing the scope of work and managing daily contract operations; meets with the Pest Control Technician weekly to review areas of concern.
- Manages the scheduled trash pickup at all buildings on the campus.
- Supervises the in-house and outsourced porter service; reports and submits work requests as needed; confirms and approves reported hours for outsourced day porters.
- Inspects grounds, ensuring that they are well manicured.
- Meets with the Events Coordinator weekly to confirm details of events for the week; ensuring that the required set-up is in place.
- Verifies and approves services for payment of invoices.
- Orders, takes inventory and maintains stock of chemicals and equipment.
- Requests proposals for additional unforeseen work.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time and Part Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of custodial and grounds services in a higher education environment, and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices;
- Knowledge of maintenance contracts;
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety regulations;
- Knowledge of chemicals used in custodial and grounds services.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to read, write, and speak Spanish;
- Ability to delegate work and supervise staff;
- Ability to create schedules and reports;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in some or all of the following areas: office environment, lobby customer service island or reception area, outdoor areas, library, gymnasium or other physical training room, kitchen, dining area, cafeteria, custodian or janitorial room; laundry room, restroom, or storeroom.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
- Work involves occasional exposure to elements including oils, inclement weather and extreme temperatures. May occasionally be required to work in a confined space or be exposed to vibration. May occasionally be exposed to hazardous driving conditions.
- Work involves rare exposure to potentially hazardous bodily fluids. May, on rare occasions, be required to work in hazardous traffic conditions.
- Must have good spatial awareness, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- May be required to move items of up to 30lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.