Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2202
Title: Manager, Communications
Department: Advancement & University Relations
Essential Personnel: No
Job Family: External Relations
Job Sub-Family: Communications & Marketing
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Manager of Communications oversees and manages all forms of communications and public relations for the university, including social media platforms and publications such as the employee and alumni newsletters. The Manager writes articles and special messages for distribution to different audiences throughout the university.
- Coordinates and produces an employee newsletter, the UHD News, twice a week; writes and edits content for the UHD News; assembles and distributes the newsletter
- Coordinates and produces a monthly alumni newsletter - Alumni Connect
- Coordinates and produces content for the university's social media platforms, including Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter, ensuring that all content is fresh and engaging
- Staffs events as required
- Handles media relations as needed.
- Pitches stories to the media to promote the university, its people, and programs
- Writes executive messaging, such as emails and webpage updates, for administrators and other departments
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, English, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- Minimum of two (2) years working in higher education
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the local media;
- Knowledge of journalism principles and AP style
- Excellent writing, editing, social media, and basic office skills;
- Good editorial judgment
- Ability to use computer and graphics programs, and the Microsoft Office suite and Smart sheets in particular;
- Ability to apply critical thinking;
- Ability to produce accurate data and information
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Limited travel
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.