Manager, Campus Events & Reservations
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3095
Title: Manager, Campus Events & Reservations
Department: Conference & Events Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: External Relations
Job Sub-Family: Alumni & Events
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: N
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Manager of Events provides day-to-day event leadership and logistical support for campus programs, events and office operations. This position helps lead annual events, meetings and conferences in support of the University's mission and strategic goals. The Manger leads all aspects of various special events as needed, including venue reservations, catering, room layout, set up and tear down, contracts, and coordination with other university departments involved in events.
- In collaboration with staff within the department, provides leadership, planning and management of the Events Office.
- Leads and manages the development of special events on campus and offsite for internal and external audiences to fulfill the University mission.
- Responsible for coordinating relevant University departments to provide the necessary event set-up, support and execution for various event types including, but not limited to conferences, meetings, special events, festivals, etc.
- Leads the campus reservations process for effective campus event coordination, exercises diligence in updating confirmations and ensuring related paperwork is completed within appropriate timelines.
- Serves as the primary liaison to relevant campus departments involved in events such as facilities, police, multimedia and catering
- Serves as a resource to campus administrators, deans and directors for college and departmental events involving external audiences and high-profile events, provides advice and assistance regarding protocol, invitations and logistics
- Ensures the details of services provided by the Events Office are carried out smoothly and with attention to detail and in anticipation of client needs
- Works to promote a positive and productive team dynamic among the department, including information sharing, best practices, and innovative leadership.
- Assists and provides leadership to event operations as assigned.
- Serves on various planning committees and work teams as requested.
- Serves as member of special events team for large university-wide events organized by other departments
- Requires evening and weekend work
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Baccalaureate degree
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience.
- Two (2) years of event management experience in a corporate hospitality or university environment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- None Required
- Auto Cad certification
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Working knowledge and proven experience with Microsoft Office Suite (to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access), and event management software.
- Demonstrated aptitude in handling and resolving details.
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Ability to work in cooperation with staff, meet deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple projects accurately, independently and productively
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently and to undertake complex planning to coordinate events.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships across the institution with varied departments.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about walking (20%), standing (30%), etc. Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks.
- Must be able to drive to attend external meetings and meet with vendors. .
- Position may require some evening and weekend work.
- Must be physically able to lift and carry boxes (20lbs-25lbs) and supplies, and to reach and bend to handle catering supplies, including dishes, linens, flowers, etc.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.