Basic Position Information
Job Code: 4406
Title: Lab Technician
Department: Natural Sciences
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Research
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 11
Grade Min: $39,923
Grade Mid: $46,910
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Lab Technician conducts a range of tasks supporting the efficient and safe preparation and conduct of biology and chemistry lab courses.
- Assists faculty and students with their laboratory classes and with their research
- Prepares and sets up labs to support chemistry courses
- Designs and executes laboratory protocols and assists faculty with ensuring students understand the material and are able to apply their knowledge to real world situations
- Ensures that the laboratory environment is kept neat and clean and is in compliance with standard safety regulations
- Monitors the stockroom and maintains inventories of the chemicals and the supplies needed for classes
- Troubleshoots analytical instruments
- Participates in projects as required.
- Assists professors with their daily duties
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- May supervise student workers
Delegation of Work:
- May assign work to subordinate(s)
- May supervise student workers
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry, or a related field
- Minimum of one (1) year of related job experience
- None required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of lab equipment and materials and related safety and operational protocols; knowledge of PCR;
- Knowledge of PH
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office and PeopleSoft;
- Strong analytical and problem
- solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to mix and dilute solutions precisely;
- Ability to apply critical thinking and reasoning;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in a laboratory environment
- Work is normally performed in a laboratory environment. Individual may walk and stand for considerable periods, and has moderate exposure to physical risks
- Work involves handling of reagents and instruments commonly associated with biology and chemistry labs, and will routinely involve exposure to potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals
- Individual may be exposed to elements such as oils, dust, fumes, airborne particles, inclement weather, and extreme temperatures
- May, on rare occasions, be required to work in a confined space or in a high dangerous place
- May, on rare occasions, be required to work near moving mechanical parts, or be exposed to the risk of an electric shock
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to potentially hazardous bodily fluids
- Individual may, on rare occasions be exposed to vibration
- May occasionally be required to wear a respirator
- Must have clarity of vision, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- May be required to move items of up to 100lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.