Environmental Health and Safety Technician
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 5195
Title: Environmental Health and Safety Technician
Department: Risk Management & Compliance
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Administrative Operations
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Technician provides support to the Office of EHS. The Technician responds and/or assists with incidents/injuries to track and investigate causes; The technician inspects and audits shops and labs; collects and sorts hazardous waste from user's locations; and coordinates professional services and contractors.
- Inspects the campus for signs of non-compliance; this includes housekeeping, blockage of emergency exits, incorrect use of equipment or safety accessories, etc.
- Maintains central hazardous waste storage area. Collects and sorts hazardous and non-hazardous waste from user's locations
- Assists with regular observations of laboratory chemical fume hoods, bio-safety cabinets, and other hazardous equipment and ensure correct operation
- Reports and places "Out of Service" placards until the repair is complete
- Observes Contractors for non-compliance issues during construction, repairs, or renovations activities; including in-house staff
- Assists with correcting all safety concerns prior to and during events and activities. This includes approval forms, food sanitation, and proper set-ups
- Assists with investigating the cause of incidents/injuries/near misses, provides tracking, and provides corrective actions
- Assists with updating the EHS website
- Occasionally drives or operates University vehicles
- Performs other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Minimum of some college or technical school
- Minimum of one (1) year of job-related experience
- Must maintain a valid driver's license
- OSHA 500
- EHS Academy for Higher Education (UTHSC)
- General science and laboratory courses
- Experience in Higher Education
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position: Environmental Health and Safety Management courses
- Knowledge and experience with industrial hygiene monitoring equipment
- Must have skills relevant to the position
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works primarily Inside - office, shops and laboratories; limited to no exposure to harsh conditions.
- 70% walking, sitting, climbing, carrying, hearing and seeing;
- 20% stooping, kneeling
- May need to lift up to 60 pounds
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.