Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3886
Title: Director, Marketing
Department: Advancement & University Relations
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: External Relations
Job Sub-Family: Communications & Marketing
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 17
Grade Min: $72,265
Grade Mid: $88,524
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Marketing serves as a lead project manager for marketing campaign development, directing all marketing related activities.
- Provides oversight and direction for growth marketing strategies for degree programs, including multiple graduate-level programs and undergraduate degree programs
- Provides oversight and direction for the overall UHD branding strategy, including setting creative direction and individual campaign design and execution
- Provides oversight and creative direction for all marketing materials, ensuring all UHD graphics are consistent and accurate
- Works closely with all levels of professionals internally and externally to communicate marketing strategy, messaging, and expectations
- Provides training, direction, and supervision to marketing department staff
- Plans, negotiates, and purchases media for campaigns
- Establishes and monitors budgets and the invoicing and payment process, ensuring compliance with university policies
- Documents and reports success of campaigns throughout campaign cycle. Presents campaign successes or modifications to upper level management
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of five (5) years in campaign management, marketing or creative services project management
- Minimum of five (5) years supervising full-time staff
- None required
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Management, Business, or a related field is preferred
- Minimum of seven (7) years of related job experience is preferred
- Experience in higher education is preferred
- Graphic design experience is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of marketing campaign planning and execution
- Knowledge of the trends, issues, and practices pertaining to marketing in the higher education sector
- Knowledge of relevant emerging technologies.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Marketing or creative services project management skills
- Ability to manage professional staff.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
- Involves sometimes working outside standard business hours to cover events, conduct interviews, and assist with communication.
- Involves travel off site to cover events, conduct interviews, and assist with communication.
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about sitting (80%), walking (10%), standing (10%), etc.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks.
- Must be able to move up to 45lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Manages project stages from proposal to completion ensuring project objectives are met within project budget and projected time frames.
- Clearly defines roles and responsibilities of project team; ascertains and secures necessary resources; and monitors project performance.
- Keeps management apprised of project status.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.