Director, Institutional Assessment and Accreditation
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2221
Title: Director, Institutional Assessment and Accreditation
Department: Institutional Effectiveness
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Academic Affairs
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director of Institutional Assessment and Accreditation is responsible for the development and management of systematic assessment and accreditation processes for planning and improving the institution's operations, programs, and services. The Director supports the Associate Vice President of Institutional Effectiveness, Strategic Planning and Assessment, and the Executive Director of Assessment and Accreditation in developing and executing a strategic vision and plan for program review, academic, co-curricular, and operations assessment, and the maturation of an assessment culture at the University.
- Directs ongoing operations of assessment area with responsibility for executing all assignments related to the university academic programs, co-curricular and administrative departments conducting assessment.
- Creates and oversees compliance and development of all SACCOC related reports, including substantive change Fifth-year Interim reports and decennial reports.
- Assists academic and administrative area personnel including Deans, Vice Presidents and Faculty regarding assessment, research design and methodology.
- Develops integration of assessment, program review and other planning processes with strategic planning.
- Prepares detailed analysis and university-wide reports focused on student learning, quality improvement and accountability key performance indicators.
- Develops and coordinates data collection schedules; facilitates norming sessions and juried assessment of outputs; analyzes and summarizes qualitative and quantitative data.
- Develops institution-wide surveys; analyzes, summarizes, and reports survey results to stakeholders. Coordinates the implementation of improvement strategies.
- Oversees systematic collection, analysis, and retention of data for planning, strategic decision making, and reporting related to assessment and accreditation.
- Directs conversations across the University to foster a culture of sustainable assessment and quality improvement.
- Assists programs and faculty members to develop discipline-specific accreditation and program review reports.
- Directs data collection, evaluation, and reporting of General Education assessments.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance, hiring new employees, disciplinary actions, scheduling work hours, granting time off, and making recommendations on handling employee grievances and complaints.
- Master's Degree
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience, including experience with assessment and accreditation software
- None required
- Doctoral Degree
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of rubric and survey development, rubric norming, basic statistics, and qualitative and quantitative data analysis methods; knowledge of business process mapping, change, and development.
- Proficiency in using assessment tracking and data analysis tools; good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office and statistical software; strong analytical and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
Research and Analysis
- Applies knowledge and skills to collect and analyze relevant data and information.
- Assesses benefits and risks, and prepares comprehensive reports of findings.
- Submits recommendations for management's review and evaluation.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.