Director, Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2126
Title: Director, Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence
Department: Teaching and Learning Center
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Success
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Teaching and Learning Excellence Center plans and implements university-wide educational development programs and services that align with institutional strategic goals, with an emphasis on faculty and instructional support.
- Partners with the Provost's Office, colleges, departments, and other units to achieve institutional strategic plan goals related to teaching and learning through faculty, instructional, and program development.
- Drives innovative course design, the expansion of quality online offerings, the support of High-Impact Practices, and other initiatives to support and advance strategic plan goals.
- Supports the adoption and use of evidence-based instructional strategies, educational technologies, and active learning spaces to enhance instruction, including management of specialized classrooms like the UHD Steelcase Active Learning Center and implementation of faculty mini-grant programs that promote collaboration.
- Leads the assessment of Center activities, demonstrating impact internally and externally, via web presence, email, social media, and presentations to UH system board and THECB; implements a continuous improvement process in partnership with the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
- Manages all center operations, including staff hiring and supervision and budget planning and execution, which involves unit planning and procurement of funds through external grant submission and management.
- Manages the CTLE College Annex - MDCOB, which houses instructional and video/graphic design support.
- Supports UHD through institutional service on committees etc. related to teaching and learning; promotes UHD as an institution that prioritizes teaching excellence and student success through hosting regional events, partnering with regional institutions, and participating in the national educational development dialogue.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Doctorate degree in an academic field of study
- Minimum of seven (7) years of related job experience, including 5+ years leading and assessing university-wide educational development programs, a record of university service on strategic planning and implementation committees, experience supporting online and technology-enhanced instruction, and a demonstrated record of grant writing, securing funding, and grant project management.
- None required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of organizational management; knowledge of educational development programs and services in a higher education environment, and of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices.
- Strong project management skills;
- Good technical skills;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to hire, supervise, and evaluate professional staff;
- Ability to make decisions;
- Ability to provide instruction and training;
- Ability to create and analyze reports.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Must have the ability to move items of up to 25lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.