Director, Benefits and Compensation
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2071
Title: Director, Benefits and Compensation
Department: Human Resources
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Human Resources
Job Sub-Family: HR Operations
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: Significant
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Benefits and Compensation oversees compensation and benefits throughout the university through policy and procedure development, training and coaching, assigning duties, supporting employees, and administering other functions related to Benefits and Compensation.
- Designs, implements, and manages salary classification and compensation programs; provides counsel to hiring managers on pay decisions, policy and guideline interpretation, and job evaluations.
- Performs a job analysis on all new and reclassified positions, assigns appropriate pay grades, and recommends salary adjustments; approves all staffing requests, and new hire and promotion salaries; maintains the institutional organizational charts.
- Manages the employee group insurance plans, including orienting new and current employees, processing enrollments and changes, and processing claims for life benefits.
- Oversees the administration all leaves, including but not limited to, Family and Medical Leave, Workers Compensation Leave, Sick Leave Pool, and Short and Long Term Disability.
- Advises employees on state and federal employment regulations, benefits and compensation policies, personnel procedures, and classification programs; prepares and communicates information to employees about benefit programs, procedures, changes, and government-mandated disclosures.
- Assists in the development and review of UHD and UHS policies related to benefits and compensation; troubleshoots benefits problems and decides on corrective action plans.
- Provides assistance with retirement processes including enrollments, changes, and service retirements; meets with employees who have been terminated involuntarily or who have resigned to discuss benefit options.
- Reviews the new fiscal year rates loaded into BDM by the budget office, makes corrections as needed, and runs processes to load new salaries into PeopleSoft; assists in the maintenance of benefits data maintained in various university systems.
- Serves as the ADA Coordinator.
- Manages the department cost center budgets and verifies all financial transactions; develops a variety of ad-hoc management reports as required.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance, hiring new employees, disciplinary actions, scheduling work hours, granting time off, and making recommendations on handling employee grievances and complaints.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business, or a related field
- Minimum of seven (7) years of related job experience
- None required
- CBP and CCP certification is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local compensation and benefits laws and regulations;
- Knowledge of trends, developments, and best practices in benefits and compensation in a higher education setting.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to lead and manage a team;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.