Director, Auxiliary Services
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2652
Title: Director, Auxiliary Services
Department: Auxiliary Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Administrative Operations
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: Significant
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Auxiliary Services manages the contractual relationship between the university and external auxiliary providers, and oversees Shipping, Receiving, and Mailroom.
- Serves as liaison between the university and external auxiliary providers, including food services, campus store services, and beverage and snack vending, to ensure contract compliance
- Oversees the administration of the Shipping, Receiving, and Mailroom services, including ensuring that departmental operating procedures and controls enable the appropriate handling of incoming and outgoing mail and packages
- Advancing Auxiliary Services goals and objectives through strategic project management, customer surveys and educational campaigns and representation of Auxiliary Services both internal and external.
- Generates ad hoc reports to project auxiliary revenue for the internal UH System purposes as required
- Develops and administers department budget in an assigned area of responsibility; approves expenditures; reviews financial statements, manages financial operations and implements and allocates resources following budget approval. Reviews monthly financial reports in conjunction with revenue fluctuations.
- Works collaboratively with others in a diverse and inclusive environment and meets with Student Government, senior campus representatives, and vendor management, where applicable, to discuss auxiliary operations
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Supervises full-time and part-time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Business or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- None required
- Participation in NACAS - National Association of College Auxiliary Services is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the processes, trends, and best practices in the auxiliary services industry
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to analyze financial sales and commission revenue trends;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- May occasionally involves exposure to inclement weather and/or extreme temperatures
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Research and Analysis
- Applies knowledge and skills to collect and analyze relevant data and information.
- Assesses benefits and risks, and prepares comprehensive reports of findings.
- Submits recommendations for management's review and evaluation.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.