Coordinator, International Admissions
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 5090
Title: Coordinator, International Admissions
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Enrollment Management
Job Sub-Family: Admissions
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Coordinator, International Admission provides support, guidance, and immigration advice to prospective and current international students, as well as assisting with the recruitment of international students, at all times complying with government and international regulations.
- Maintains and organizes all relevant information for SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System), including certification requirements and international compliance documentation, and performs related data entry tasks.
- Provides up-to-date and relevant information to international students regarding F-1 Visa restrictions and university regulations, policies, and procedures; ensures that international students remain in compliance with all immigration requirements.
- Advises international students on immigration restrictions, processes and procedures such as work permits, reinstatements, reduced course load authorizations, change of status, medical leave, and economic hardship employment authorization.
- Provides advising sessions for degree-seeking international students, ensuring that students are fully enrolled and meeting class, graduation, and immigration requirements; assists students with best practices, career advising, OPT and CPT opportunities, and university relations.
- Coordinates and plans events and programs such as new student orientation, OPT/CPT Workshops, Transfer Fairs, Open House, virtual information sessions, and recruiting events at other colleges and high schools.
- Reviews and maintains the daily international admissions report, tracking new applications, sending welcome emails to new applications, and following up with students who have not completed the process.
- Develops and maintains connections with global organizations in the Houston area to assist with the on-going recruitment of students; builds networks of international partners through outreach and training and development opportunities.
- Functions as a liaison between students and campus departments to expedite the resolution of student problems.
- Promotes university opportunities to prospective students by developing and delivering presentations to high schools, businesses, and organizations.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience, including experience in advising students in a higher education setting and with student information systems.
- None required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of F1 Visa policies;
- Knowledge of immigration policies and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office and PeopleSoft;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Must have the ability to move items of up to 20lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.