Coordinator, Employee Relations and Talent Management
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2755
Title: Coordinator, Employee Relations and Talent Management
Department: Human Resources
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Human Resources
Job Sub-Family: HR Services
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Coordinator, Employee Relations and Talent Management, provides advice and coaching to UHD staff on employee relations issues and assesses and resolves employee relations matters. The Coordinator ensures that actions are aligned with university policies and procedures and that a fair and consistent approach is taken across the university, promoting a positive culture within the university while minimizing risks.
- Serves as a point of contact for employee relations issues within the university, including, but not limited to, performance management, disciplinary processes, legal issues, investigations, and conflict management; provides direct intervention and hands-on support in resolving employee and performance-related issues.
- Assists with designing, developing, and implementing proactive employee relations policies and practices; offers consultative services to employees regarding policies, procedures, and state and federal employment laws.
- Provides procedural information to staff who claim to be aggrieved, makes appropriate referrals for faculty and student issues that fall outside the scope of the position.
- Receives and investigates staff complaints with neutrality, impartiality, and confidentiality, gathering relevant information and documentation, conducting interviews, producing reports, and providing updates as necessary; makes recommendations on a course of action in consultation with HR leadership.
- Assists in resolving workplace conflict by consulting with parties to develop cooperative strategies for complaint resolution.
- Provides assistance and guidance to managers developing Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs); sits in on meetings where PIPs are presented to employees, as needed.
- Manages all staff performance management and assessment processes; collaborates with the Talent Development team in addressing performance deficiencies and/or conduct issues.
- Assists with conducting needs assessments to determine measures that will enhance employee job performance; helps develop action plans to enhance the effectiveness of employee performance in achieving departmental and university goals and objectives.
- Handles and administers unemployment claim responses and prepares and coordinates hearings; conducts exit interviews and oversees exit surveys; oversees the separation clearance process for staff; investigates issues and analyzes data collected from exit surveys and interviews.
- Creates training programs and conducts training on the performance management system and annual process.
- Runs all relevant reports and metrics. .
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of three (3) years of work experience
- None Required
- SHRM-CP or PHR certification is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, developments, and best practices in employee relations and talent management.
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office, Saba Performance, and PeopleSoft
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Good decision making skills.
- Ability to review reports and analyze important data and metrics
- Ability to investigate issues and incidents in an impartial manne
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.