Coordinator, Basic Needs
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3454
Title: Coordinator, Basic Needs
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Program Administration
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 12
Grade Min: $43,001
Grade Mid: $51,601
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Coordinator of Basic Needs provides administrative, programmatic, and technical oversight in support of the student basic needs center/program. The Coordinator coordinates services, functions, and activities related to basic needs; provides case management and specialized information related to basic needs to students, staff, faculty, and others; and coordinates with campus and community organizations to obtain resources for students to promote student success, retention, and completion.
- Coordinates and assists with evaluating the basic needs services and functions including but not limited to the UHD Food Market, Gator Emergency Fund, technology assistance program, and forthcoming programs (e.g., clothing closet, housing assistance, childcare assistance, etc.)
- Facilitates care interventions for students who identify having an unfulfilled basic need; assists with managing a care intervention referral tracking and notes system
- Develops and coordinate programming for students that promotes holistic well being
- Connect students to campus services, programs, resources, and other institutional opportunities to aid in the retention and success of all students; Outreach and connect students to community (federal, state, local) programs, services, and resources
- Collaborates with faculty and staff to address and respond to student concerns and needs
- Assists with conducting program evaluation(s) and student satisfaction surveys for the department's continuous improvement plans and reports
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Serves on university and other committees as assigned
- Supervise student workers
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Sets clear goals and expectations; provides mentorship and guidance
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of one (1) year of related job experience.
- Experience with applying for federal/state services
- Bachelor's degree in Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, or related;
- Experience with case management, experience working in higher education
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Excellent diplomacy, interpersonal, customer service skills; strong planning & organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to support and lead subordinates, deliver excellent written/oral communication, work through processes, prioritize responsibilities, synthesize detailed/complex information, and provide clear recommendations
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.