Associate Director, Teaching and Learning Excellence Center
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2326
Title: Associate Director, Teaching and Learning Excellence Center
Department: Teaching and Learning Center
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Success
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Associate Director, Teaching and Learning Excellence Center fulfills the mission of the center through faculty training and consultation, program planning and implementation, workshop facilitation, business administration, staff training, and directing all aspects of online instruction support at the faculty, course, and program level.
- Facilitates faculty development workshops, pedagogical training, seminars, and colloquia.
- Provides instructional design support, consultation, and classroom observation services to faculty across the academic disciplines, assisting with face-to-face, hybrid, and online courses and programs.
- Collaborates with Technology Teaching and the Learning Center to enhance the quality and delivery of hybrid and online courses and programs.
- Works alongside the leadership to develop and sustain an effective network among the CTLE staff, the Advisory Board, the subcommittees, the university-wide faculty, and the departments.
- Works alongside leadership to develop and assess university-wide programs related to teaching and learning.
- Chairs the CTLE Online Subcommittee.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Supervises student workers
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Supervises the work of student employees.
- Master's degree
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- QM and/or OLC certification is required
- Doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Design for Online Teaching, or a related field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced technical knowledge of instructional technology supported by the institution
including LMS, VoiceThread and additional LMS
- adjunct tools, Office365, Zoom, streaming media tools, and web
- driven office productivity tools such as Trello and Airtable;
- Broad knowledge of evidence
- based instructional strategies effective for enhanced student learning and success at the undergraduate level;
- Knowledge of and experience with selecting and implementing Open Educational Resources.
- Proficient in course design and learning outcomes alignment, excellent organizational, time management, and prioritization skills;
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to evaluate course design and teaching approaches for the purpose of providing a plan for continuous improvement; ability to evaluate course design and teaching approaches for the purpose of providing a plan for continuous improvement;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively; ability to communicate with and foster collaboration among faculty from diverse academic disciplines, teaching philosophies, and career stages.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. May be required to move items of up to 75lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in a technical area.
- Effectively applies expertise to troubleshoot existing systems and develop solutions with existing technology.
- Competent to learn new technologies and integrate them with existing technology.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical assistance to others.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.